Captain America. Hawkeye. Hulk. Iron Man. Iron Fist. Nick Fury. Daredevil. Wolverine. Phil Coulson
These characters all mean something to me. I need them in my life. They are either examples to me on how I should live my life, influences on me with the way I live my life or people I can relate to that make me fee like I'm not alone. Here, we're going to go into part 4-Nicholas Joseph Fury, agent of SHIELD.
I like Nick Fury. He's a cool guy. Badass. Carries around loads of weapons. Has neat hand to hand techniques. He's also disabled. What's that? He's not? Oh no, he totally is.
That's an eyepatch folks. He has one eye. He's visually impaired. No, he's not blind-well, yes he is in that left eye, there-but he's got one good eye. For the rest, he has Phil Coulson (see part 3). That's in the movies anyway. In the comics, he doesn't need a left eye. He's badass enough as it is. He has the Infinity Formula and with that, he ages slowly-like really slowly. He managed the Howling Commandos in World War II.
Raah! I'm gonna shoot you!
I grew up knowing that something was wrong with me. When the leader of my Brownie Troop shouted at me for doing something impulsive, the way she threw around the word "disabled", not only made me realize that I had a disability, but made me feel that having a disability was a very bad and shameful thing.
When I entered secondary school, they didn't do much to counter that thought either. I couldn't speak my native language of Welsh very well, so they put me in classes full of intellectually disabled individuals. Some of them were nice people. Others bullied me and slandered me. Those were just individuals and am not painting everyone like that with the same brush. Basically, I was led to believe that because I had disabilities, that I would be worth nothing to society and should just go stack shelves at the local supermarket.
I love comics and when I first started reading ones with Nick Fury in them, I noticed something was different about him, but it never actually occurred to me that he was disabled. But he is. Having one eye interferes with his depth perception and also his ability to see what's (or who's) around him. Granted, it's a mild disability, like my ADHD, but it's a disability nonetheless. And he's so badass!
And he hangs out with badass people.
He eve has a badass job as the badass director of SHIELD.
He's an all around badass. The most badass disabled guy there is. And if he can be badass, then I can be badass.
Except for the part where I'm not. Well... Not yet anyway...

.png)

No comments:
Post a Comment