Saturday, 14 February 2015

Part 2-Hawkeye

Captain America. Hawkeye. Hulk. Iron Man. Iron Fist. Nick Fury. Daredevil. Wolverine. Phil Coulson

These characters all mean something to me. I need them in my life. They are either examples to me on how I should live my life, influences on me with the way I live my life or people I can relate to that make me fee like I'm not alone. Here, we're going to go into part 2-Clint Barton or Hawkeye. 
No Marvel character, any fictional character-or real person for that matter-has affected me as profoundly as Clint Barton has. He inspires me and gives me courage to do things I never thought I could-asking for help being one of them. And it's all because of the misfortune we both have of being disabled. 

Well, he's deaf. And I have ADHD. But the fact stands-he led by example and showed me that if he-a superhero-can ask for help-and with his pride-that I can suck my own pride up and ask for help. 


 Yeah, that's a deaf guy using a phone there. 

These two panels made me see through my pride. Before this, I didn't think much of Hawkeye. I didn't like him. I didn't dislike him. He was just there. Yet I bought this particular comic (Hawkeye #19, Matt Fraction, David Aja and Matt Hollingsworth, I urge you to pick it up!) piqued my interest because I heard Clint was being re-deafened. I didn't even know he was deaf to begin with, but with a bit of research, turns out he has hearing loss and uses hearing aids. Who knew?


Thank you for not wearing this getup, Jeremy Renner!


I can't even put into words how much deaf Hawkeye means to me. He's the reason I learned sign language. Well, like I said earlier, I'm not deaf, but I have ADHD. My hands always have to be moving in conversation. If my hands are also talking, then better for me. More chance of meeting new people I otherwise wouldn't. He's also the reason I asked for help at a critical point in my life. Before, I would suffer, not ask any questions and try to muddle my way through-much like Hawkeye does in this page-which got me nothing but bad grades in my university work and got both me and my quarterback injured in my American football. Seeing the new deaf Hawkeye ask for help pushed me through my own barriers and I actually feel happier for it. I even have a new best friend out of it, Clint Barton. He's three inches tall and comes with me everywhere. Even in my Lego sets. 

I'm in my 20s and I have Lego. Deal with it. 

And from the looks of it, deaf Hawkeye is hanging around for at least a little bit longer. 







No comments:

Post a Comment